Hiking Boots For Everyone
7-Day Intensive Workshop Course
Learn the professionals skills and techniques used to make high quality custom hiking boots for men and women.
Working from well proven, traditional, on piece patterns, students create a medium weight classic hiking boot.
Because we work from established patterns, time usually set aside for design is shifted to fitting, last modification, heavy leather techniques, and adapting our basic design for various use requirements.
All aspects of construction, leather choice, padding, sole types, and sewing, are covered.
Our shop has over 250 lasts (boot forms) and nine unique sewing machines dedicated to heavy sewing so that students can explore all facets of hiking boot construction.
All materials provided.
Class Duration: 7 days
Prerequisites: No prior shoemaking experience is necessary. Sewing boot camp is required for all students.
(one hour for lunch)
DAY 1: 8am-5pm Sewing Boot Camp and Foot Measuring
DAY 2: 8am – 5pm The Basics Day
- Measuring and fitting concepts
- Last selection
- Last modification techniques
DAY 3: 8am – 5pm
- Pattern selection
- Leather selection (outer)
- Leather selection (lining)
- Padding techniques
DAY 4: 8am – 5pm
- Cut all leather components
- Begin assembly
- Insole and stiffener selection
DAY 5: 8am – 5pm
- Complete assembly (called closing)
- Lasting (pulling the upper over the last and insole)
DAY 6: 8am – 5pm
- Add stiffeners (tob box and counter)
DAY 7: 8am – 5pm
- Finish work
- Clean-up and detailing
- Insole insertion
- Review and questions
- Group and individual photos, boot photos
- We’re done!