Renaissance Moccasins / Unlasted Simple Shoes
7 Day Workshop
In this course, you will learn to make moccasins and simple shoes. These shoes are made without a last, and employ a simple tape casting of the foot to create patterns for a large number of creative low heel styles. Many styles besides those pictured can be created, including lace-ups, Mary Janes, and T-straps.
The Renaissance Moccasin, though simple in construction, is labor intensive. After completing a beautiful moccasin in this style, students are instructed in how to make the Unlasted, Outstitched (simple) Shoe. Unlasted shoes are easier to construct and can be made completely without machinery.
By the end of this course, students will have learned two methods of shoe construction — a 2 for 1 class!
The ease of construction means you will have plenty of opportunity to explore your own sense of color and design as you learn to make these extremely comfortable, colorful, uniquely creative handmade shoes.
Unlasted shoes can be completely hand sewn, without heavy shoemaking equipment or sewing machines. A walking foot sewing machine is helpful, but not necessary.
This course is a great place to start your shoemaking experience. If you choose to continue, you will have learned about foot dynamics, fitting, leather choices and color selection, construction and sewing.
After completing this course you will have the skills and knowledge needed to continue making creative handmade moccasins and simple shoes at home for yourself, family, and friends.
Warning: the confidence that comes from making your own shoes and the thrill of creation, may spill over into other areas of your life. Once you know how creativity works, you can never go back.
All materials provided.
Class Duration: 7 days
Prerequisites: No prior shoemaking experience is necessary. Some sewing experience is suggested, and sewing boot camp is included
(one hour for lunch)
DAY 1: 8:30am-5:30pm Sewing Boot Camp, Casting the Foot
DAY 2: 8:30am – 5:30pm Basics
- Instruction in the “magic” of un-lasted stitch down and renaissance moccasin style boots and shoes
- Casting of your foot and leg
DAY 3: 8:30am – 5:30pm Patterns and Parts
- Creation of your 2 dimensional pattern from your 3 dimensional casting
- Embellishment and styling of your pattern
- Creating seam allowances
- Building your insole, insole cushion, lace tabs, laces, upper French binding, and cutting of the outsole
DAY 4: 8:30am – 5:30pm Upper Creation
- Cutting your upper from your patterns
DAY 5: 8:30am – 5:30pm Continuing to assemble
- Complete closing (assembly)
- Attach uppers to your insole by cementing and sewing the perimeter
DAY 6 & 7: 8:30am – 5:30pm You’ve got a creative shoe/boot!
- Finish sole edges
- Sew buttons
- Clean-up and detailing of your creation
- Distribution of class notes and resource list
- Group and individual photos, shoe/boot photos
- Let’s walk downtown!