13 Day Workshop Course
Prerequisites: Advanced class or instructor’s approval
Contact us to request to be notified of upcoming classes or call 541-951-0952.
The Fashion Boots Course is a chance for students to release all blocks to creative expression. When there are few, if any rules, creativity can quickly bubble up. And, when society’s norms are pushed, the rebellious, creative, craftsperson suddenly appears. We believe that a risky experiment will, in the long run, serve a student far better than a safe repeat. Creativity is found more in the mistakes than the successes.
The rules for Fashion Boots are simple: high heels a must, platforms welcome, wild and crazy leathers, materials, and trimmings preferred (you won’t believe what’s available), no boot lower than knee high — higher is encouraged — and zippered entrance. Above all, you must have a love of sexy footwear and a sense of humor!
In this course, you will learn the skills used to make high quality custom made boots.
All materials provided. If you choose to work in fabric, you must bring at least three yards, at your own expense.
Class Duration: 13 days
Prerequisites: Advanced class or instructor’s approval.
For inspiration, see the movie Kinky Boots!!!
Class Schedule (one hour for lunch)
Day 1: 8:30am – 5:30pm, The Basics
- Measuring and fitting of your foot
- Measuring the leg
- Discussion of design dynamics for high boots. Discussion of your style goals, as well as the goals of the group
- The choice for inside/outside platform must be made at this point
Day 2: 8:30am – 5:30pm, Starting to see a boot pattern
- Instruction in elements of design, materials, and what works/what doesn’t
- Taping of your last
- Creation of your mean form (paper pattern that represents both sides of your last (shoe form)
- Creation of your leg pattern
- Blending of your foot mean form with your leg pattern to create your complete boot mean form. Now you have a complete boot pattern on which to create your unique style
Day 3: 8:30am – 5:30pm, Getting Creative
- Designing your style. Consideration of style elements: inside platform, outside platform, faux lacing, heel style, zipper placement, embellishments, practicality, proposed use etc.
- Under close supervision you create your “look” and tentatively establish your style lines.
- Group discussion and brain storming to raise the creative bar.
- Cutting and sewing of a complete boot and foot canvas drape to insure leg and foot fit. This is your trial fitting.
Day 4: 8:30am – 5:30pm, Getting ready to assemble your boots
- Adjust your paper boot mean form if necessary
- Finalize your styling lines and sectionalize your patterns (cutting parts and adding seam and lasting allowances
- Cut your upper and liners
- Add facing and reinforcements if necessary
- Install zippers.
Day 5: 8:30am – 5:30pm, Assembly – The Boot Appears
- Mark critical alignments points for lasting
- Close (assemble) your boot, sewing zippers (previously sewn to uppers) to liners.
Day 6: 8:30am – 5:30pm, Lasting
- Last boot
- Cement liner to insole
- Cover heel
Day 7: 8:30am – 5:30pm, Stiffeners
- Add stiffeners to heel and toe
- Re-last heel and toe
- Cement uppers to your insole and liners
- Scour boot bottom for sole and heel cement attaching
Day 8: 8:30am – 5:30pm, Soling
- Attach heels to your boots (several techniques demonstrated)
- Create sole pattern
- Create your sole, exploring different types and finishes
Day 9: 8:30am – 5:30pm, Soling continued
- Attach soles to your boots
- Add top lift
- Detailing, cleanup, add sock liner
Day 10 & 11: 8:30am – 5:30pm, We’ve got a boot
- Final finishing,
- Individual and class evaluation of results, creative jamming
- Individual and class photos, boot photos
- Distribution of class notes and source list